How Secure is Your Garden?
As the nights draw in, burglars become more opportunistic and take advantage of the early darkness. Burglaries are likely to increase by around 25% this time of year.
To remind us all to survey our home security this Autumn, October is Home Security Month. This includes your garden. Tools, statues and plants in gardens are often worth thousands, and the average value of stolen goods over £800. But we don’t secure them in the same way we would an iPad or television. Your garden is also your first line of defence against would-be thieves who are targeting your home.
- Keep your bins away from your gates/fences
- Microchip your pets
- Use land anchors to secure your plant pots
- Invest in good, weatherproof padlocks for sheds and gates
- Use a bike lock as well as locking your shed
- Check your insurance covers your more expensive items.
- Keep bushes trimmed back.
- Make sure ladders are locked away.